06 May 2008

More about the Show and a Question!

I will continue to be an avid watcher and commenter on the Groomer Has It show, so bear with me if I seem to be fixated. I really just am.

So many commenters on the show's blog have complained that they haven't seen enough "real" grooming. Well boy howdy you're gonna see it next week when they bring in the cats. That is one I'm really looking forward to. Actually I've said that every week so you might say I really like the show. You'd be right.

My theory on why groomers (I assume the ones who complain are strictly shop groomers, but I don't really know) have complained is that they don't show day-to-day grooming life on the show. I think people were expecting to see a documentary on grooming in a shop that handles 50+ dogs a day where the dogs are seen twice a year and sometimes on holidays. That's not what the show is for. It is a contest to see who is the best showman. They're competing in a different realm from the shop experience. I worked for several years at a grooming factory and I know that it is hard and also very rewarding when you look back at your week and say "I groomed 30 dogs, 5 cats and squeezed in 8 puppies without a single accident or complaint". I don't know if these competitors would last a day under those sweatshop conditions. But I know that you cannot ask for the level of quality in a place like that. That's what the show is about. They want to see quality grooming, high levels of creativity and performance under pressure. That's what makes the groomer of the year. The personal drama is what happens as a side effect when you put such highly driven individuals together. They each have a strong personality and an enormous sense of pride in they're creation. It's hard to stand there and be judged by someone. It's tough coming from a client after you just worked on Fuff-Fuff (actual former client's name....yeah I know) for two hours straight and they're nit-picking over every single hair and clipper mark even though they know full well that Fuff-Fuff is a snapdragon. But for three perfect strangers to tear you down and then come back home and your fellow competitors insult you and then months after it's all said and done random people who watched only bits and pieces of it to scathe and chastise and remark....it can't be easy for those folks. Listen groomers. All I'm saying is give those guys and gals a break. They're doing what they can do and don't forget this is in the past for them. The show's over, we're watching this months after it actually happened and I can't believe some of the things people have said about this whole thing. It's supposed to be fun and entertaining and to make you think and wonder "How did they do that?" There is so much negativity going around on that blog I just wanna wag my finger at many of them and say "Didn't your mother tell you...." You know?

Well I love the show. I'll keep watching and commenting on the blog and visiting the website every day, and I hope hope hope there's a second season because I'll blow this competition out of the water.

Oh! I got a question!! Yay!

Muddy asked:
Curious what your thoughts are about sedation during grooming?
Well, I have a unique situation. The short answer is I don't like it. I work only part time and I run my salon pretty much as if it were mobile. I only do one dog at a time, and I do consider that in itself a premium service. Each pet gets one-on-one my undivided attention (that is as long as my 3 year old allows). Because I focus on only one dog at a time, my atmosphere stays very relaxed and tranquil. I can play soothing music, use aromatherapy, massage, anything necessary to relax the dog. I also charge by the hour, which is absurd and no groomers do this. But I feel that an hourly rate (assuming your clients trust you not to abuse it, which mine do) is self regulating in that if you need more time to deal with a fidgety puppy or a crotchety old snapdragon your extra time and trouble is worked in for you. I use a timer which I pause if I need a break to attend to my daughter, or take a potty break, and start again when I get back to work.

This may shock you, especially some groomers: I don't own a muzzle. I don't. I believe they cause more stress and reinforce biting habits. By covering the dog's mouth you render his bites harmless, but you'll be more tempted to ignore the biting behavior rather than correct it which in turn leads to more biting. I demand certain things from my dogs, and from my very few clients who have troublesome dogs. One: the dog may not jump, sit, or stand without permission. Two: the dog may not be off lead. Three: the owner must not address nervous behavior. Four: I will not groom a dog that I cannot control. The most important thing is number four. I have to put safety first. I am consistent with these rules and so far I've not had to send anyone away. I can groom dogs that have been fired from several groomers for bad behavior. I feel very strongly that if a dog is too dangerous to be groomed without a muzzle then off to the vet he should go.

I love Caesar Millan, and I believe every word he says. Many of the techniques he uses on his clients mirror the way I've handled dogs since I was 3 years old. You NEVER let a dog control the situation. YOU are the human HE is the dog. There is NEVER and excuse for a dog's bad behavior, or for letting the dog have his way. IT IS A DOG!!! I've heard it all: My dog was abused/traumatized/quicked at the last groomer's/ heart carved out with a spoon...WHATEVER! Get over it! The dog is already over it. That's why we keep dogs. That's why they're man's best friend. No matter what happens the dog is there FOR YOU! You don't need to compensate for things that happened to him because the dog doesn't CARE!!!

Honestly. The dog's whole life revolves around the owner. His life begins when you come home and ends when you leave for work. As the master YOU are responsible for the quality of life he has while you're there.

As a parent it is my responsibility to make sure that my daughter has friends and exercise and education in her life. I have to teach her the appropriate reactions to stress, fear and anger. I have to teach her about chain of command and respect toward her elders because these skills will help her have a balanced, normal, happy life. She needs rules, boundaries and limitations to learn these things. The same is true for dogs. They are social creatures living in our society. They have to be taught to follow our rules.

I don't know your dog, Muddy, or why the groomer at the vet saw fit to sedate your dog for grooming, so don't be offended, none of that was directed toward you. This is my thing: know your groomer. I'm proud of you for grooming your dog at home. It's a difficult job and I applaud you for doing it. It's very rare that a pet parent is determined enough to learn how to do it, and persistent enough to keep it up month after month. On the occasions when you do need to use a professional groomer, know who you're dealing with. You are the employer and the groomer is the prospective employee. Ask questions about the groomer's training, experience, philosophy, habits, anything that's important to you. Look at their portfolio, ask for references, tour the salon. All these things should be made available to you. If a groomer is not cooperative, or is asking you why you want to know or don't you trust me? Run. Every good groomer knows that these dogs are not just dogs, they are family and you want to protect your family and make sure you are putting your baby in good hands. I even welcome pet parents into my salon to watch. I don't believe in hiding what I do and I don't believe that having the owner present is risky.

There are some dogs who do have serious behavior issues, and require extra attention and, in only the most severe cases, sedation. But sedation is only a temporary solution. I'm talking here about a dog whose only objective is to kill a human. Sedation should NEVER be used on a dog just because it's wiggly or nippy. There are ways to control and rehabilitate the dog (and as Caesar says, train the people) so that sedation is not necessary. It all starts with a change in the HUMAN. You can't force a permanent change in your dog's behavior without changing your behavior first. If the groomer is unstable, or the owner is unstable, the dog will not trust them, and the dog will be unstable. In my experience, having a stable groomer can mostly compensate for having an unstable owner. Again, Muddy, I am not passing judgment on you, I'm not even talking about you right now because I don't know you or your unique situation.

Based on Muddy's comment in the last entry, it sounds like sedation was probably not necessary, but it might have been prevented if you'd asked more questions before dropping off your dog. Another thing: Sedation should NEVER be used by someone who is not a medical professional. I've been asked many times if I sedate my dogs and the answer is always the same: "I am not medically trained to administer any drugs of any kind to your pet." Followed by "If I can't control your dog without a muzzle, since I don't own one, I can refer you to a vet who does grooming." It's not dangerous if done by a professional, but I think in most cases it's probably not necessary if the groomer is able to devote enough time and energy to your dog. For many groomers, the biggest obstacle is time. It's faster to slap a muzzle on a dog, than to work on his behavior and teach the dog not to bite. Also, many groomers ignore the warning signs (or just don't know them) of a biter. Very rarely will a dog bite with absolutely no warning.

Well, I can't imagine a more long-winded answer than that, but I hope it helps. Just remember that your dog is very tuned in to your behavior, so the next time you take him to the groomer put your negative feelings aside. Completely. Make yourself as light-hearted as if you were going to the park or to the puppy bakery. Your dog will love going to the groomer if you genuinely love taking him there.

No comments: