30 November 2007

Circumcision Anyone?

I've just added a new service to my pet spa. How would you like to have your dog bathed, brushed, trimmed and circumcised? The way I see it, those little wingdings are always in the way, and they don't use them properly anyway, so why not just whack them off?

Seriously, I did have a minor accident recently. I joke about it now, but when it happened I was so freaked out I could barely stand up. It's not the first time I ever nicked a dog, not even the first time I found a scrap of disembodied skin on the table afterwards. There's just something about that particular piece of anatomy that just gets under your skin. (no pun intended) I called Daddy #1 right away and tried not to bawl on the phone when I told him. He arrived with Daddy #2 ten minutes later (during which time I finished the trim and bandaged the owie, in that order because I'm obsessive and also a little priority challenged) (oh and also, I just refused to let that beautiful white Coton de Tulear see his Daddies with blood in his hair) and he tried not to bawl on his way to the vet. Then I tried to compose myself so I could groom my last dog of the day.

An hour later Daddy #1 called to say the pup was fine, no stitches needed and to apologize for being such a wreck. He also said that he would see me in two weeks (He's got two 11 year old Cotons and always brings them every other week) and he'd pay me then for both visits. I gushed over how nice he was to me and how sorry I was about the accident and no you may absolutely not pay me and please send me the vet bill. How sweet is this? The vet did not charge him for a visit. Naturally I thought he must be just saying that because he didn't want me to pay, so I called the vet. Sure enough--I am not making this up--the vet only charged $25 for the antibiotics and no office visit, no emergency fee. WOW! Well I said to the receptionist "There must be something I can do. Can I give you a donation?" No, she said If you want you can give them a card or something.

The next day--By the way I did finish my last dog that day without incident, though I did retire the bloody scissors for a couple weeks. Once they taste blood, you know... The next day I went to my favorite pet boutique (I have to walk past two others to get to it, that's how much I love this place) and I bought some doggie doughnuts and a nice card for them and a cold pack from the drugstore. So that was my care package. I hope it made the boys (all four of them) happy.

I'm so lucky to live and work in such a close neighborhood and to have clients who are so kind and generous. That night I had been invited to a petite soirée at the home of a client who I met in French class two years ago. We went because I was so touched that she had invited us, but I didn't think I would know anyone and I completely expected to feel out of place. How surprised was I when I met none other than the vet and his mother/receptionist who had treated my unfortunate little pup just the day before? I almost cried. Dr. S. came over to me and introduced himself and his Mom and said how pleased he was to meet the famous me. That's what he said... FAMOUS! I've only been working in this area for 2 years, and in my current location less than one year. They were so sweet and nice and ...I'm getting verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic: Is global warming caused by a natural climate shift ending the last ice age, or pollution accumulating since the industrial revolution.....

Well anyway, the party was nice. Dr. S. eased my conscience saying that the cut was not that bad and he knew it would be fine as soon as he heard I was the groomer. I delivered the care package later that evening to the Daddies. Luckily I didn't have to go far. They both work at a chic restaurant around the corner. Those guys are so sweet to show there were no hard feelings they gave me a gift card to come to their restaurant.

This whole experience was far far different from what happened the last time I sent a dog to the vet. But that's another story. And don't sound so surprised. Every groomer has accidents. That's why we have insurance. And yes, if you are shopping for a groomer you may ask to see proof. If they seem reluctant, find another groomer.

No comments: